Formulator – FAQ
Here you find some of the most frequently asked questions about our software Formulator and the corresponding answers.
Starting with build 133, Formulator 3.0 comes with an alternative TWAIN driver. To activate this driver please start the Scanner Setup program from the Formulator start menu group. Remove all selected scanner drivers and close the program by clicking on OK. Start Formulator. In the File menu, you will now find the new Select Scanner menu item where you can select the TWAIN driver of your scanner. When you then scan a form the TWAIN software of your scanner will be displayed. Use it to select the appropriate scanning mode and resolution (e.g. 300 dpi).
In the TWAIN dialog box, deactivate the Find Page Area option.
To scan in landscape format please follow these steps:
- File / New…, Form sheet(s): None
- File / Page Setup…, Paper format: Landscape
- Form / Scan…
If a form is to be filled out on multiple computers simultaneously please create a new desktop link to Formulator for opening this form. Append the command line in the Target field containing the path name of Formulator.exe with the following parameters, separated by blanks:
/F “form file”
“form file” must be replaced with the complete file name including the path of your form.
Hint: Formulator Filler is always opening forms in share mode.
You can create only eight fill-out zones. On each printout there will be a reference to the demo version.
The file ~Licence.000 was deleted from the program folder. Start Windows Explorer and create an empty text file under this name. Set the “read-only” attribute on this file.
Hint: This problem was fixed with build 3.0.133 and the file ~Licence.000 will be created at program startup whenever it is missing.
You must split the multi-page TIFF file into single-page files using a separate software.
After upgrading from Formulator 2.5 to 3.0 you may wish to combine several single-page forms into one multi-page form. To do so follow these steps:
- Open the single-page forms in Edit Zones mode and use Form / Save Image… to save the image of each form. Keep the forms open.
- Create a new multi-page form without a form image.
- Go to one page after the other and open the corresponding image using Form / Open Image….
- To copy the zones open the corresponding single-page form, select Edit/ Select All and Edit / Copy. Then, change back to the multi-page form go to the corresponding page and insert the zones. While the zones are still selected move them to their correct positions.
If you are printing black-and-white forms and the form image is not printed although you selected the Print: Allsetting please activate the alternative graphics printing handler:
- Select Help / About and check if the version numer of Formulator is 3.00.141 or higher.
- If you have an older version please install the current Service Pack or perform an online upgrade.
- Open the Formulator folder in Windows Explorer (usually C:\Program Files\Formulator) and double click the file PrintTopDown.reg. Confirm the execution of the registry script to activate the alternative graphics printing handler.
You can activate this feature manually in the registry by creating a DWORD value named “PrintTopDown” under the key “HKLM/Software/OCR Systeme/Formulator” and assigning it the value 1.
Create the program folder on your hard disk manually and copy the contents of the Formulator folder from the CD into this folder. Then, execute Setup.exe from the program folder on the hard disk with the “/n” parameter, by clicking on the Start button, selecting Run and entering:
“C:\Program Files\Formulator\Setup.exe” /n
The most robust scanner driver is the “TWAIN: Basic Driver”. To use it please start the Scanner Setup from the Formulator start menu group. In the list of all scanner drivers at the bottom of the dialog box please select this driver and click on Install. The driver will now appear in the list Installed Scanners in the middle. Now click on As Default Scanner and click on OK.
When you are scanning in Formulator the TWAIN dialog of your scanner software will appear. There you must set the color depth to black-and-white. Depending on the scanner manufacturer the color depth may be named scanning mode or something else. Instead of black-and-white the appropriate option may be named line art or bi-tone. You should also specify a suitable resolution, e.g. 300 dpi.
This version of Formulator supports only image files containing two colors (black and white). Furthermore, it only supports the following file formats and compression schemes: Windows Bitmap (BMP), Zsoft Paintbrush (PCX), TIFF (uncompressed, Packbits, Huffman compression).